Sketch Star to close April 16th, 2013
Miniclip has officially announced on their blog that Sketch Star will be closing to the public on Tuesday April 16th, 2013.
To mark the occasion, they created a really nice sonorized video compilation of some of the best animations over the last years:
In their statement, Miniclip cites its reasons to “put Sketchy to sleep” as being a mix of its fan base decreasing despite continued development and their desire to focus more on games, which is what they do best. (see 8-ball pool multiplayer their top selling game right now)
It’s very sad to see Sketch Star go, i spent close to 5 years of my life on it and at the same time i support and understand their decision. Sketch Star was a great project. It touched the lives of many people and it had a great run. Have a good sleep Sketchy, may you rest in peace.
In the last month of confusion over Sketch Star future, i have been in touch with some of the most hard core users and talented artists. Together we have been gathering a compilation of youtube videos of the animations that they worked on throughout the years and that i enjoyed so much.
Here they are:
Wonkystick’s Youtube channel
Doctorunk’s Youtube channel
Piterwilson’s Youtube channel – compilation
As for alternatives to Sketch Star, here are a few:
- The Original Flipbook! toy at Benettonplay.com. This website hasn’t had an update in over 7-8 years… and it still works. For the most part.
- Webcanimation! if you want to do frame by frame animation with your webcam (A word of caution as the content there is moderated after the fact).
- GoAnimate Not as noble as Flipbook! or Sketch Star but still good to make cartoons that use pre-made characters. (no so much for drawing)
- DVolver Another tool to make cartoons with pre-made characters and artwork.
- Xtranormal I have seen this one around inYoutTube a lot. Mostly furry cartoon animals that debate Mac vs Pc, iPhone vs Android and lots of curse words.
So there you have it. Is it the last of the draw frame-by-frame animation toys? I can’t say for sure.